Monday, October 30, 2023

Debbie Lanier's Life and Times: Volume 18: Halloween

My mom definitely loved Halloween, Halloween specials, scary movies and taking us trick or treating and to haunted houses and parties. 

Kids always loved when Halloween activities took place on a weekend because you got to stay out longer. It wasn't as fun on a weekday because we had to cut trick or treating shorter and may or may not have gotten to go to a haunted house. It was very memorable nonetheless. 

Debbie being Debbie definitely did two things: only took us to houses and places she trusted and checked our candy. And when I mean checked our candy, she would be eating it smh! I get she would get hungry but for years I thought I either lost my best piece of candy or my brother stole it. It was my mom man! We had a good laugh when I was an adult and she told me. She would take the time to check/eat our candy while we were in a haunted house or trail. 

My mom would often leave out with us around 5pm and we would stay out until 8-9pm. We would hit all of the Kings Creek area and certain neighborhoods in Blacksburg to get all the candy we could. Of course she restricted our consumption so we wouldn't be up all night. 

Supposedly I went to my first Halloween party at 3 months since our aunt and uncle were twins with a Halloween birthday. She used to take me trick or treating as a baby, dressing me up and then getting all the candy. Who's going to say no to a baby? 

This is definitely one of my favorite times of the year and favorite seasons. My mom, as always, made it extra special. 

No comments:

Post a Comment