The summer is almost over and we're getting into what many consider "boo season". The leaves start falling, the weather is cooler, and people are suddenly seeking companionship.
Now before any of you single folks jump into a relationship or even a fling or date, ask yourself this simple question: Do I love myself? If the answer is no, you need to find out why not, and work on loving yourself first.
I see all these articles, blogs and posts about love and relationships. Nicholas Sparks and Eric Jerome Dickey both make lots of money writing about romance. However, few, if any, touches on self-love.
Many wonder why that good looking gentleman or that gorgeous lady is over 30 and single. Sometimes they are simply working on themselves so they can be ready to love another soul. This can take time and patience.
So what are some ways that one can love and appreciate themselves? Here are a few.
1. Find out what you enjoy best and do it at least once/week. Go hiking. Take a road trip. Have a day where you either read your favorite book or watch your favorite show.
2. Surround yourself with people in your close circle who love and appreciate you for you. They will give you clarity and help you to see the beauty inside and outside.
3. Take yourself out on the town. Yeah you read that correctly. Go on a movie, a dinner date, to a game, or have a Netflix/Redbox night. Appreciate yourself so that others can appreciate you.
4. Smile often and keep laughter in your body. It is the best medicine. It has been said if you're not laughing, you're not living.
5. Step outside of the box and try something new. This can help test your trust, mostly of yourself. If you take a chance with you, you can work towards taking a chance with others.
Self-love is paramount to a successful romantic relationship. You can give more to your significant other when you feel the love inside. Often we all must start from scratch and do baby steps. Let loving yourself be a part of this.
So if you see someone you're interested, don't necessarily ignore them. Simply exchange information, and give them the proper time when you're ready and open for love.