Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Debbie Lanier's Life and Times: Volume 15- Life in the Mills

For a long time in the South, you could make a good living with minimal education working in the cotton, textile and steel mills. You really raked in the money if you were on production.  


My mom genuinely loved this work and worked in several mills on and off for over 20 years. Some of the ones I recall her working at were Marion Yarns, Pharr Yarns, TNS, Bowling Green Spinning, Sadie Mill, Oxford, Donald Adam's, Screen Print, Peeler Rug and I'm sure there were others. During that day you could quit or get fired and literally have a job in 24 hours.  

Mom's specialty was winding. She didn't like sitting for too long so spinning wasn't her thing but she loved winding. Debbie simply loved the environment, the money, the various coworkers (some of those being family) and being able to provide for her small family. 

Someone sent me a picture from October 1977 when Mom worked at Bowling Green Spinning the first time and it made me think of the stories she told of how much she loved that work. She didn't want me nor my brother doing it but it kept clothes on our back, food on the table, her cars running and eventually allowed her to get her own place. 

It was definitely a simpler more productive time for our country and community. I'm so glad my mom could partake in that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment