Monday, January 18, 2021

STARS: How I have honored MLK Day over the years

MLK Day is growing more and more in significance, even during a pandemic. I now have the day off with pay for the first time in over 20 years. 

I've seen many honor his memory with community service, public events, candlelight vigils and prayer breakfasts. 

I do the #1 thing I feel I can do to honor him: I go to work if allowed. Now it's easier to do since I get paid double time. However, let's not forget what Dr. King fought for and that was equalty. Without him, I likely would not have the opportunity to be in a leadership role in a company not owned by a Black person. That has happened and I feel the least I can do is show up to work. 

I also post pictures, quotes and videos and really reflect on his legacy. This includes moments of silence, talking with others about his impact and how we plan to keep his dream alive. We are in a great time to do this since many still do not realize his dream is unfulfilled. There is work still yet to be completed.  

I have also did the vigils, community service and prayer breakfasts. Since we have COVID now and mass gatherings are unsafe, you can do these things virtual and in small numbers. Continue to give to deserving minority and advancement clauses.  I want to do stuff by showcasing what the Black race, as well as the human race, has accomplished due to Dr. King. We can't forget the Black experience as it effects the American experience. 

I have already seen a greater appreciation for his day just from my company making it a paid holiday. Also from BLM, Jane Elliott, John Lewis and Stacey Abrams to name a few. We have had a black president and will have a black female vice president.  Dr. King is very pleased and we definitely can't stop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment