Sunday, January 31, 2021

STARS: Promoting Your Event/Place With Stiff Competition

We have seen, especially just over the past week, how the little guy can beat the big guy in a financial war. Point is, things happen all the time for good that shouldn't in the eyes of some. 

Think about in the case of Borderlands having a huge sale during Super Bowl weekend. Now many haven't heard of Borderlands first off. Secondly, this is one of the hardest weekends to get folks to your store and not just due to COVID. Bath and Body Works has made their sales work for many years due to a number of factors: timing, zoning in on their key market and starting early and often. Trust me, they're planning already for their next big sale and how to promote it. 

I would definitely buy a small TV spot, as well as social media time. I would do this at the beginning of January. I know a month out is a decent time frame for allowing the masses to know. 

I would have a campaign to add and recruit as many people to my store and possible. Visibility is also important. I would have characters like the squiggly creature seen at car lots and Lady Liberty at tax preparation centers.  People don't know you exist if they can't see you. 

I would offer plenty of online deals as well and would extend the in-store sale to an online venue that lasts throughout February (peak tax season). One is first or last in this scenario. 

I would go to investors and brokers (speaking of that topic) and gain partnership and sponsorship. Everyone in the big city will not know what goes on in small towns and vice versa and I would want to bridge that gap. Modern stores such as Borderlands are finding themselves on the chopping blocks due to the online retail giants. 

I take my lessons learned from Belk and BiLo: adapt or cease to exist. I ensure my events and market are well informed before any huge event and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment