Sunday, January 24, 2021

STARS: How To Properly Notify Someone of a Death

This is definitely one of those: "I don't know who needs to hear this but"

We have had several deaths in the past week alone. Informing the masses seems easy due to social media but you want to make sure all family and close friends know in a timely manner. 

Travel arrangements need to be looked into and made with COVID and time off in mind (for those that don't receive bereavement). Therefore, people should be informed no later than 48 hours after the death. 

I have experienced this way too many times. I realize it's a challenge if it's someone closer to you and/or a shock death. 

I would designate someone to contact all via call, text, group chat, etc. It should be that strong, rock of a family member or friend that does this. 

I would then ensure that it can be posted on social media. To me, no family member nor close friend should learn about a death on social media. Making that contact is paramount. 

I would then get the arrangements together and communicate in a similar fashion. Social media is more appropriate here. 

I would find a good bereavement counselor/professional. Many morticians are equipped for this. Utilize this service, especially since you are paying them. 

I then proceed to make arrangements with others accompaning me, set COVID guidelines and proceed with the planning.

I then see who was left out and why. I then encourage for better methods of communication from that point forward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment