Monday, May 25, 2015

Mary Kale: A Celebration Of 80 Years In Life, Love and Christ

My great aunt Mary Elizabeth Kale Dover recently turned 80 years old, a milestone age for her as she is the first sibling out of her family to reach this age.

There are many great things I can say about this woman. She has been such an inspirational and stabilizing force throughout my entire life.

She was born as the third of twelve children, second oldest daughter to Bill and Orie Dover. Like many children during the Depression/WWII era, she had to assist in raising her youngest siblings, especially since both of her parents worked a lot.

She got married in the early 50s to Bill Kale. They had five children: Sandra, Tim, Vicki, and twin daughters Glenda and Belinda. They would eventually have thirteen grandchildren and seventeen great grandchildren, quite a legacy.

Now that Mary was a full time mother and wife, she still played mother figure to many others. Her beloved mother Orie passed away in 1958. Therefore her and her sister Myrtle (my grandmother) were the mothers to many of the younger siblings for life.

One of the most important lessons Mary learned and still practices and teaches to this day is about the Lord. She is one of the most devout Christians I know, and is never ashamed to express her faith. Being of the Pentacostal faith, she is very vocal about the Holy Ghost as well. Hearing her and my grandma pray always gave me cold chills.  She also is a wonderful singer, and her kids and many of her grandkids have inherited this spiritual gift.

Aunt Mary has been a tough woman throughout life's advertisies. She has witnessed both of her parents, her husband and several siblings pass on. She is one of only four remaining. She does not and cannot get around like she once could. You best believe she is still strong in heart and spirit. She is a person I have always enjoyed being around as she reminds me so much of my grandma and she is such a positive, spiritual person. They really don't make them like her anymore.

I firmly believe in giving folks the flowers while they can still smell them. Therefore, these piece is for you, Aunt Mary Kale. Thank you for all of your prayers and all you have did for the entire family. I love you as you have truly been a blessing and I am thankful everyday for people like you in my life.

1 comment: