Monday, July 30, 2012

A Football Life: The Love Of The Game



Sports are a major part of our culture and daily lives. Some women even watch as much Sportscenter as some men. ESPN and ESPN2 are required channels on any cable or satellite packages.

.

Basketball, baseball, boxing, tennis, golf, hockey, NASCAR, and currently the Olympics have their broad fanbases. However, none beat the nation's #1 sport: football.



It's hard to beat the smell of the freshly cut grass, the taste of the hot dogs and pizza, the roar of the crowds, and the hard hits and big plays. It's pure Heaven to many of us

.

Football is like a religion in some areas, and understandably so. It comes on only a few times/week, lasts only a few months, and is simply exciting to watch, but not too exhausting or drawn out as other sports.



My love for football began in my teen years when I played for Blacksburg High School. I still root for the Wildcats. I also attend many high school games around the Carolinas, including Gaffney. No one has to explain to me why football is so big in the city of Gaffney. I attend at least a couple of Gaffney games per year, and have even traveled when they went to the state championship. I love seeing good football and athletes, at all levels of play.



College football is also special. From the tailgating to GameDay on ESPN, it’s an absolute rush. I'm not in favor of the BCS, but I definitely love to watch the drama and excitement of college football. Those players play so hard, in hopes of one day receiving a nice NFL contract. It will be nice when my Notre Dame Fighting Irish can win more often. Beyond that, Saturdays in the fall are made for college football, fight songs, rivalries, and school pride.



The NFL has almost always been great.  It's a great way to cap off the weekend.   My team for the past couple of decades has been the Green Bay Packers. That isn't easy, although they are winning. Most of my family likes America's Team, the Dallas Cowboys. You can only imagine how Thanksgiving is for me since the Boys play every Turkey Day. I still enjoy watching at least five games on Sundays, one on Mondays, and the occasional Thursday night game. The season culminates with the Super Bowl, the highest rated program on television during the entire year.



The NFL became even more exciting for me when I started playing fantasy football about four years ago. I was then forced to pay attention to every player on all 32 NFL rosters. The people I play with do not play for money, simply for bragging rights. My desire, research, and luck paid off last season as I won the championship in one of my leagues. I hope to repeat my championship this season.



Football is a team sport that has united communities of all backgrounds for decades. One can see in many families that the fathers and uncles played, and the mothers and aunts cheered. This tradition continues to be passed down. You even have famous football families such as the Mannings, with Archie, Eli, and Peyton.



There are not enough words to express how happy I am football is back. It is a constant reminder of the good in this world, and the various rewards that can result from a consistent team effort.


No comments:

Post a Comment