Monday, December 4, 2023

Debbie Lanier's Life and Times: Vol. 22: Home

Debbie Lanier and Kenny Lanier were alike in a lot of ways for siblings to only be two years apart. Uncle Kenny was always more of the socialite, always having to be on the scene. Debbie, my mom, was on the reserved side and preferred to be at home. This continued as she grew older, had children and then couldn't get around very well. 

Mom loved the comfort of her home and later her room. Growing up that wasn't easy having a mom that didn't go many places. My brother and I longed for a stepdaddy and would beg and ask her to go out on dates or out with friends. On weekends, summers and off days, she wanted to be home with us, and friends and family that liked coming over. For years she didn't go to family gatherings or even out to eat for Mother's Day or her birthday.  I was telling someone just yesterday when my mom turned 60 and 65 she didn't want a party or a big deal made of it. I simply took her to her to her favorite restaurants and bought her some of her favorite things. 

Debbie was a very simple, minimalist woman. I think that's why she worked so hard for decades on making her house a home. She wanted herself and others to feel welcomed. She wasn't the type to be out for too long, even going to the grocery store or to doctor's appointments. 

There are several memes out of course regarding introverts changing plans, not being mad about canceled plans, nor not going if it involved complicated parking. All 3 of these and more were my mom. She also didn't drive very far and never in a city larger than Spartanburg or Rock Hill. 

My mom would often say when referring to going to a special place "if Jesus isn't there I'm not going". Ironically that's where she is now and for eternity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment