Monday, June 29, 2020

STARS: How I handled my 40th Birthday celebration

Two years ago, I reached a milestone age: 40. I wanted to celebrate it differently than anyone else had. Plus I wanted not only the people I wanted included, but those that chose to be included. I didn't want anyone to feel excluded because that hurts and it's subtle bullying. Change my mind.  

That said, I had decided to take off the week of my birthday but essentially celebrate all month long. I would allow folks time with 4th of July and vacation festivities to join in. 

I had cake and gave everyone an opportunity to have some. Just like my overall celebration, the cake would be available and in waves.  

I went to Atlanta for three days and got to watch my first Braves game at SunTrust Park. I also saw Frank Caliendo live at the Comedy Zone in Greenville, SC. 

I even decided to celebrate with two friends, both of us turning 40. Both were cool with it but one of them was a newlywed and her husband wanted to do something special. I had no problem with that and joined in. 

I am blessed to have a really good mutual friend who ensured we both received our own celebrations. She had us a party and cake at Dave and Busters. I also had someone give me a quart of my favorite concoction and I received my pet cat Trouser.  Also I went out on the town on two other occasions. 

I ended up stretching the celebration for a few weeks but I got all that I wanted and then some. I gave all ample time to celebrate with me and gift me.  I didn't hear one complaint about anyone being left out or excluded either. 

I have researched that even Sir Elton John wasn't invited to the 2018 Royal Wedding. I'm not saying I'm better; however, I did not restrict access to my celebration to anyone.  Those that feel they struggle to "invite everyone" should try this. It is also pandemic friendly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment