Monday, June 22, 2020

STARS: Explaining White Privilege to those that will listen

Notice the title before you start explaining to anyone about white privilege.  

Some don't want to know, care to know, period. And that's OK. This is part of the education process.  

I first determine if they want to know about white privilege and what it means. If they are dismissive, disrespectful and try to flip it to a reverse racism situation, do not waste your time. I vet and filter out the ones that are willing and ready for this conversation. 

I then begin the conversation. I base this on their level of comprehension and understanding. I have a few articles and videos I found online, one is a Tik Tok video exercise. Two others are similar in nature, one written piece being how to explain white privilege to a poor white person. 

I also use snippets and fragments of these videos and articles. For example I may ask "raise your hand or like my post if the money you have in the pocket represents your race and how society sees you?". This is so important because it's deeper than how you see yourself. When one sees how they are perceived by the majority in the world, they can sympathize and act accordingly.  

 I am already successfully educating many, including my best and longest friend and my own mother.  They have watched me struggle from racial attacks and discrimination for a decade. Now they are starting to see that #BlackLivesMatter is way more than just a movement. It is trying to bring awareness and value to the Black experience. This way, white privilege is understood, sympathy and action can be taken, and then all lives will truly matter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment