Monday, June 15, 2020

STARS: Finding Effective Ways to Mitigate Police Murdering

This is a small part in my suggestion to properly recruit, train and educate police forces around the nation so that there are less unjust murders and that everyone feels safe again, especially black people. 

The situation, Friday night in Atlanta, GA, further shows that we need to really start there with the proper training. Another black man dead, another cop fired, and the chief of police resigning. None of this is a good look. 

I would start with defunding.  Defunding is explained in my latest post on www.imjustdrew.com. I want funds to be allocated to the community and for resources that will actually make certain situations better and not worse.  For instance, I would call a crisis advocate rather than 911, on someone suffering a mental breakdown. I would do the same for someone suffering with alcoholism. There needs to be a classification and not a one size fits all approach for an officer with less than two months of formal training. 

I will refer to the most recently publizied situation here. First of all, it's two cops versus an intoxicated man. How does he get the taser first of all? I would make the tasers more difficult to obtain. Second, I know of ways to stun someone running without shooting center mass and ending their life. There are tranquilizer darts (although their potency needs improvement), pepper spray (why is this no longer an open), BBs or rubber bullets to center mass and even simply a crossbow. I want to see more effective methods implemented in what some view as a "grey area". 

I am confident in what our country can do in 2020. If we are the greatest country and the land of opportunity, why is this oppression still occurs. I believe it is time to take back integrity and power from the oppressors that never earned it in the first place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment