Wednesday, August 14, 2019

STARS: Dealing with someone through an anxiety attack

I only try to talk, especially write, about things I know. I can definitely relate to anxiety and panic attacks since my mom has anxiety and has had many attacks, especially recently.

I recognize that my mom is having an attack through her behavior, silence, eyes, shaking and often crying.  I make sure she is in a quiet, tranquil place. I encourage her to breathe and air out any frustrations. 

Her and I then pray together as we both truly believe in the power of prayer. I then remain quiet and simply there for her. 

Next I then contact her mental health advocate and a crisis hotline, in that order. The number I use is 

Finally, I carefully monitor her throughout the coming days. A person is affected for up to a week after an anxiety attack. They need time to heal and replenish as they often take so much out of a person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment