Sunday, October 19, 2014

This Year's Lawnmowing Season Didn't Cut It For Me

This year was my second full season of cutting grass for my mother, who can no longer do so on a pushmower following her ankle injury early last year. In 2013, the biggest problem I had was the constant rain, and often having to mow the lawn twice/week and even on into it got dark.

I had many more problems this year. I had counted on my mom to get the riding mower fixed. But her mechanic went MIA so around April I simply got gas and oil and began cutting her grass on a bi-weekly basis with the pushmower, weekly when my schedule allowed. And just so you all know, my mother has a huge yard, like half an acre, front yard and back. Cutting her grass, especially with a push mower, is almost like mowing a football or baseball field.

Everything seemed to proceed well until about the end of June when the lawnmower started stopping and stalling. I then put more oil into the mower and make two huge rookie mistakes: not draining the old oil and flooding the carbeuator with excess new oil. Therefore, the lawnmower continued to stall and such every five minutes. I kept having to recrank it by pulling the shaft towards me. Around the 4th of July, I threw out my shoulder and was hampered for a month. I eventually went to the chiropractor and got readjusted.

I then told Mom that I would not cut anymore grass until one or both of those mowers were fixed. We had a couple of people that were generous enough to cut the grass in the meantime. Mom still had no success finding an affordable mechanic. I then sought the assistance of my cousin's boyfriend in Clover who is a jack of all trades and he was affordable.

After he dealt with it on two occasions, once in a drizzle, he fixed it for us and we were so thankful. He took apart the mower and completely cleaned it, had me replace the spark plug and told me what else I needed to do moving forward. I could not allow the grass to get too long due to how sensitive the mower had become, or even wet. I would have to keep a check on the oil and keep fresh oil in there and keep it clean and drained. I would also have to baby and mow with care, not jerk or angle the lawnmower too often. All of his advice paid off and I had a working mower for the rest of the season.

Then Mother Nature interfered.

Fire ants ran rampant near the end of summer. Up to eight hills had surfaced. We had to buy fire ant killer and eventually made our own when all the stores had sold out. Around the beginning of October in the South, the leaves fall more often and the ground starts getting colder. Typically only one more cutting is required at that time. This year I had gotten a touch of the flu the first weekend of October. Last weekend it rained the entire time. During this time, it had also gotten warmer and we even had tornado watches, which made more of the grass grow up again. This past Thursday, despite having to go out and buy more gas and oil, I FINALLY got around to cutting the grass. Hopefully this will be it until next Spring.

I am currently taking all measures to improve the next lawn mowing season. First of all, the riding mower must be fixed. My mother's yard never was meant to be cut with a pushmower. Also, I want to keep the pushmower functional.

Did you have a lot of trouble with your lawn this season or last? Have you gotten in your final cutting of the year yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment