Monday, March 24, 2014

Cremations: More Common and Normal

Let's be honest, especially if you're around my age or older.  The very first time you viewed an urn with a deceased person's ashes, you were a little creeped out. Now it's very normal for me, especially since I have had several family members cremated,  my brother included. It's a strange type of comfort.

Not only are cremations more cost effective,  they seem to be more convenient on the family. Granted the luxury of visiting them anytime in the cemetery would be gone.  However,  research indicates that cemeteries are filling up, and funeral homes are literally running out of places to bury folks. Also, cremations make for a more convenient,  less drawn out funeral. You don't have to worry about accessories such as a wreath,  a hearse, or opening and closing the grave. Plus, you get to keep your loved one with you all the time, rather than venture to the graveyard.  It's been quite a comfort for myself and my family.

Now I have heard opposing views, saying that cremating a human body is morally wrong,  and your circumstances may be different if you have a family plot or one near your spouse.  Well I'm here to tell you that turning a body to ashes is not wrong at all, and there is no concrete proof to suggest otherwise. There may be a case where you feel obligated to use the family plot and that's perfectly okay and understandable.

The dead seems to send chills down the spines of many. However,  not seeing a body at all, or just at the wake, can also be easier on the family.  You're not faced with seeing your loved ones in an unfamiliar fashion,  lying in peace.  Plus,  you always have the option of showing the body during the ceremony,  and having the cremation process take place afterwards.  To me, this is the best of both worlds.

I believe getting cremated is the best choice for myself. My brother wanted to be and so does my mother.  I have seen how differently families respond to cremations versus burials and I happen to like it. It's all about honoring the wishes of both the deceased and their loved ones.

I would encourage all to look into this before you immediately shoot it down. In the not so distant future,  it may be the only option you have after your soul leaves your body.

Do you or yourself know anyone that has been cremated?  How has the grieving family responded to it all?

No comments:

Post a Comment