Saturday, April 6, 2013

Seven Things I Want To Teach My Future Child

I look forward to the day that I have my own child. It will be work, but I'm ready to give my future son or daughter a good foundation and skillset. The following are seven things that I want them to learn.

1. About love, and loving the Lord

I cannot say yet whether or not I have a preference which denomination my kids are raised under. My main focus is that they know who the Lord is, read the Bible, and about Heaven and Hell.  I want to teach them love and how to love and be loved. What better way to do that than by teaching them God's love and Jesus's sacrifice for us. God is love and I want them to know that.

2. How to cook and grill

Being that I'm adept on the grill and come from a long line of awesome cooks, this is something I want them to know how to do, male or female. I want them to be self sufficient and independent and this is one way. Nowadays it seems no one cooks anymore. They microwave and eat out. I don't want this art to be lost on my seed.

3. Reading and Writing Well

I want them to be well read and educated. I would like them to at least finish high school and possibly college, military or tech school.  I mentioned before about cursive writing being phased out. Well I want my children to understand the basics of signing your name and communicating well in numerous areas. Sharing this gift and skill can help them in their futures.

4. Play at least one musicial instrument.

Music is the universal language, and I want them to understand it. It could be piano lessons, the school band, church or the orchestra. I want them to at least give it a try. I am all about enhancing the brain and expanding horizons.

5. Computer knowledge

The schools teach technology even more, and technology drives our everyday lives. I want my children to have a piece of what I have learned: past, present, and future.  No illiteracy of any kind will exist in my house, and computers are no different.

6. Basic Law Knowledge

My grandmother told me that knowing the law is so important and applicable to many situations. I want them to know due process, how to treat and talk to law enforcement, and to know their legal rights. The intent will not be for them to live above the law but abide by the law, and to protect themselves against unfair practices.

7. Mechanical knowledge (car, home)

I don't want my children feeling like they need to have Triple A on speed dial. I want them to be able to change their oil, tires, and maintain an automobile. I also want them to at least be able to swing a hammer and know how to properly use a wrench. This goes back to being self sufficient. I want them to be better than me in many aspects, and being mechanical is one of them.

I am a realist and I know they may not grasp everything I show them or may live a different life. However, I want to do my part, not be forceful, and then leave them in God's hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment