Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Father Figure Profiles

I profiled several father figures last year that have helped shape and mold me into the person I am. Many of these men could be featured in the classic father film Courageous. That movie raised the bar for how fathers and men should behave, especially when facing adversity. Here are two more father figures that have helped in my journey.


Tom Sansing


Tom is the former owner of Papa G's Restaurant in Blacksburg. I'm friends with his two oldest children, Thomas and Bryna. Heck they are all like family to me. I attend birthday parties and other functions they have, in addition to being a regular at their restaurant. Tom possesses the gift of gab, and has offered me much encouragement and motivation during my adulthood. He lives up to his nickname "Papa". I feel I can go to him when I'm happy, sad, angry, or whatever. He has a huge heart also under his yellow shirt (insider) and no nonsense demeanor. He has successfully worked for himself for over 20 years and has an awesome relationship with the town of Blacksburg. Tom is definitely a model of consistency.


Dale Gould


I reconnected with Dale earlier this year. He was actually friends with my former stepfather, but we have been able to stay in touch. He is knowledgeable, understanding, giving, and realistic. He always opens the right arm of fellowship to me and makes me and my own feel special. He treats people like human beings, and typically acts the way he wants to be treated. Dale is a straight shooter like myself who raised three sons, one who is not his biological one. He is simply a joy to talk to and hang with. I feel I learn a lot from him and gain a lot of inner strength and courage.


Happy Father's Day to these men, and to all father figures!


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

1 comment:

  1. There are people who touch our lives and leave a remarkable imprint on our hearts. Some are our actual Fathers, some are surrogate Fathers.

    My Father, Henry McDaniel, has been my rock in an ever mounting storm of life. He has been the strength I have clung too many times when life tried to press me beneath the drowning waves. Fathers are a special breed. When you have had a great one or a surrogate Father who has been there for you, there is no greater friend on this earth.

    My son is also a Father, and I am so proud of him. He has taken responsibility and tried to set an example for his sons and spend as much time with them as he can with his busy schedule of work and school.

    Happy Father's Day to all the Father's of this world and thank you for the lives you live and the examples you set for us to follow.

    ReplyDelete