Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Non Traditional but not Uncommon take on Karma


Karma, as many of you already know, is derived from Buddhist/Hindu principles. The basis of it is that you reap what you sow. Doing good eventually brings reward. And doing bad eventually leads to ruin.

Now I don't follow Buddhism or Hinduism. But I believe in The Golden Rule (do unto others as you would do have them do unto you) and reaping what you sow. I also like to reference basic karma when I say that "what goes around, comes around”. This is usually the case as well.

The television show My Name Is Earl, one of my favorites of all time, was based on the approach to Karma that I'm discussing. The protagonist and star, Earl Hickey (played by Jason Lee), was a petty criminal who had just won the lottery. Immediately after, his life began falling apart. He was hit by a car, lost the lottery ticket, his wife Joy divorced him, and he and his brother Randy were forced to live in a motel. However, while lying in the hospital, he was watching Last Call with Carson Daly. Carson was talking about how blessed he feels his life is and cited good karma as a reason. Earl then realizes all of the bad things he's done in his life to others, so he writes a list of them (200+) and decides to make up for these wrongdoings one by one so karma can be on his side. The show lasted four seasons and saw Earl undergo lots of positive change.

I try to help others wherever and whenever I can. Again you reap what you sow, and I try to plant only good seeds. I can't expect good things to happen to me if I don't do them as well. I'm always striving to be a better person and to lead a good life. I actually feel good when I do right by others, and have seen favor in many areas of my life.

Basically, karma really can't send you to Heaven or Hell. It just encourages folks to treat each other right, or you may suffer other consequences and/or guilt later.

I strongly believe in the power of positive reinforcement and I want peace in my life. Regardless of how bad I am treated, I want to do good anyways.

I don't believe one has to necessarily call themselves a Buddhist for treating others well and trying to avoid drama and turmoil. We may love to watch it on television and the movies, but do we really want this in our daily lives all the time?

Once again, the basic principle (even on My Name Is Earl) is do good things, good things happen. Do bad things, bad things happen. Too bad it’s not always as simple as it sounds

 


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.1

No comments:

Post a Comment