Sunday, November 28, 2010

My journey with my finger

This has been the weekend that we have designated for giving thanks for friends, family, blessings in our life, etc. This hasn't been the best year of my life in many aspects, but it has been far from my worst. One of the things that I've been giving thanks for the past two months has been the speedy recovery of my dislocated right pinkie finger that I suffered over Labor Day weekend.

Many of you know by now that I pretty much live in the gym, doing a wide variety of activities from weight lifting, cardio, basketball, aerobics and most recently ZUMBA. On the Friday before Labor Day of this year, I was playing a 2 on 2 pickup basketball game at the gym. It was getting pretty rough and intense. I couldn't hit water from a boat, shotwise, but my defense was on that day. I was going against one of the best outside shooters that comes to our gym and I was shutting him down. I was making him drive to the basket. We both went up for a rebound and our hands collided. When I came down, I felt a little pain in my right pinkie. I figured it was a little bump until I looked at my finger. It was disfigured and bent the other direction. I held it up and asked the other guys what they thought and they were all like "WHOAA!!!!" I immediately left and went to the emergency room. That's when the pain started subsiding. They put my finger in a splint, prescribed some pain meds, and left me with a lot of concern as to what I was going to do next.

I didn't know how long I was going to have to be out of work, the gym, and if I was going to be able to play in the upcoming alumni football game I was helping organize. I really was doing a lot of praying during this time, especially that Labor Day weekend. I never really realize how valuable my pinkies were until that moment right there.

Since it was Labor Day weekend, I went to the doctor on Tuesday after I went to work and informed my employers of the situation. The doctor performed another X-ray, and took my finger out of the splint. I still couldn't move it much without any pain so the doctor recommend that I take it light on my finger until I could move it and see him again in a week. If I couldn't move the finger any better, I would have to undergo therapy. I stayed out of work for a week, dissolving the rest of my vacation and sick time (that's the policy at my job if you take leave and it's not their fault). It turns out I had just enough time to cover just that time fortunately. I only worked out three days before I saw the doctor again, only cardio and abs. By Saturday, I could move my finger much better, but I still couldn't make a fist. Nevertheless, that next Tuesday, the doctor was pleased that I could move my finger without any pain, and cleared me to work and do more activity.

During my personal research and diagnosis, I was told that my injury could take 3-6 weeks or longer to heal. Well, inside of 4 weeks, I could make a fist. By 6 weeks, I had very minimal pain and was basically healed. I still experience a little pain, but nothing serious nor substantial. I had to baby my finger for so long and I do get cautious about it, especially when I bump it accidently. However, I'm more confident in what I can do with my finger, and grateful about my recovery.

It could have been much, much worse. I could have broken my arm or leg, or have had required surgery that would have kept me out of work for weeks and lost myself money, even with my company's short-term disability plan. I look back now at what happened and smile. I'm glad things turned out the way that they did. I now practice even more safety measures, especially with my style of play on the basketball court. I plan on using my vacation and sick time more carefully (which I usually do anyways) when I receive it again in January. Moreover, I'm doing my best not to take ANY of my limbs for granted.

Once again, this hasn't been the best year for me but I know things could be far, far worse. Now I'm grateful for the little things, like being able to type this blog with ALL ten of my fingers, give someone a firm handshake without pain (which took almost all 6 weeks to be able to do), and for a newer perspective on life.

Someone reminded me on Facebook that there are 33 days left of 2010. I will do what I can to make these 33 the best I can, and to make the most out of 2011. I've had worse setbacks than the one I suffered almost three months ago now, I'm a strong-willed, determined person. I'm not gonna let anything keep me down for long. I will enjoy life and what it has given and taken from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment