Sunday, November 21, 2010

Black (or Whack Friday): is it REALLY worth it?


Thanksgiving is almost here, which means the morning after (or in some cases, the night of) is Black Friday, one of the biggest shopping days of the year. I commonly refer to it as "Whack" Friday because it's a huge, violent, crazy, adrenaline-rushed mess.

Black Friday has gotten way out of hand over the years. Stores release their catalogs a month or two in advance so folks can see all of the specials available on that day. People will leave their families full from turkey, dressing, gravy, collards, and rolls, and often even camp out in front of shopping malls, Wal-Mart, and other stores, ready to shop as soon as the doors open. And it often gets so insane and cut-throat. People fighting over $10 Blu-Ray players, $50 laptops, and other brand-new items marked considerably down. I hope this isn't what our society has come to? Willing to risk jail time, sleep, and your life just for significant discounts? It doesn't seem worth it to me.

I've actually been out on a couple of Black Fridays, although I've usually come as late as 7 or 8am once the crowds have cleared some. The crowds usually peak around 4-5am. By 6:30am all of the heavily-discounted items are typically gone and it's like a regularly crowded Friday at the stores. You would have to guarantee that I would save a bundle, plus pay my gas money and an extra fee to get me out of my warm bed on Black Friday. You can take that to the bank.

There are many other ways to save money and get huge discounts around the holidays. First off, there are discounts throughout the year, especially online. Shopping online will save you tons of money in the long run and you don't even have to leave the house. Plus the Monday after Thanksgiving is a good alternative to Black Friday, commonly called Cyber Monday. Many stores will post specials online that you can purchase. Best thing besides not leaving the house and wait in the cold November weather? No lines or fighting! Now that's cool with me. And then of course there's eBay, Craigslist, etc. Hey don't feel like you're too good to utilize these outlets. There are many quality, almost brand-new items at unbelievable prices.

I believe many people just love to shop, period, it's almost a sport and recreation to them. And Black (Whack) Friday is like the Super Bowl to them. I know folks that are prepping their outfits and agenda for that day. Really, are you kidding me? Well, I'll be laughing at you from my bed and couch while I hear of you going through all the unnecessary stress, heartache, and freezing just to save a few bucks.

So don't expect to see me at a Black Friday sale in the near future. I just don't see how it is worth it, literally resorting to violence and danger just to save money.

Feel free to shop away, complete your holiday shopping. Just don't expect me to accompany you, or even support the fact that you're going out on this cold, crowded, dark day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment