Monday, October 11, 2010

ZUMBA: One of the newest fitness crazes

I gotta admit, I'm a fitness buff, enthusiast and a gym rat. However, I've never gotten much into dancing, salsa or the like. I will, however, try anything that will help keep me in shape, improve my form and coordination, and just give me a good workout period.

A year and a half ago, a classmate of mine kept speaking of this ZUMBA class she teaches at the Y in Rock Hill. I asked her if I could come to one of these classes one Saturday since my gym (Your Best Body Fitness Center and Day Spa in Gaffney) didn't have them at the time. She said yes. When I saw some ZUMBA videos on YouTube, I was intimidated and concerned that I wouldn't be able to keep up and may even get worn out. That was definitely not the case. One of the big slogans of ZUMBA is that it is "one big party". And that it is. It's a lot of fun, and arguably one of the more exciting ways to mix fitness, fun, and great music since Richard Simmons and "Sweatin to the Oldies".

I immediately went to David and Lisa Fink at YBB and asked them when would we be able to get ZUMBA at our gym. Lisa said they would work on it. Well, a year and a half later, it FINALLY happened. There are now 4 ZUMBA classes going on at YBB, and everyone is having a good time, even the few guys that decide to show up.

I attend 2 classes/week myself because it is good, fun fitness, plus the instructors, Carrie and Alleigh, each add their own style and personality to make it great. Carrie's a more traditional ZUMBA instructor, does a lot of the salsa, and is more step by step with her instructions. Alleigh mixes ZUMBA with some fast-paced, dancing moves and even some cheerleader dances, techniques and spins. It sounds intimidating and metrosexual, but trust me, it's a good workout.

I have REALLY improved my coordination, balance, and mobility in the past month. I'm still not a dancer persay, but again that's not the purpose of ZUMBA. The purpose is to get you moving to the music in a coordinated but fun and relaxed way.

The folks at YBB are really riding the ZUMBA wave currently. The classes average about 25-30, even on Wednesdays, and that's one of the slowest periods in the gym due to it being church night. It's a new craze not only for Gaffney, SC but for America. I don't see it slowing down anytime soon either.

Carrie and Alleigh are keeping the routines and music fresh though, as folks will catch on very quickly to most any fitness routine. I believe I will recommend "All Night Long" by Lionel Richie and "Caribbean Queen" by Billy Ocean. I could see some good ZUMBA routines coregraphed from those songs.

I encourage anyone to contact your local gym and/or YMCA to see about getting into a ZUMBA class. It really is fun, a good workout, and it's cool to be able to move your body well, especially for your overall health and wellness. Join the craze and don't judge or knock it till you've tried it!

No comments:

Post a Comment