Sunday, July 25, 2010

Keeping it 100?

I place a question mark by this because I often wonder when I hear folks talk, watch TV, or read FB and Twitter statuses how many folks REALLY do keep it 100? And why is honesty (or fake honesty) a sudden fad? Why should it even be a fad?

One of my main purposes in my blogging (and life in general) is to be honest and real. I value honesty whole heartedly. Can't stand obscessive liars and lying. Even distorting the truth isn't good. So basically, I've been "keeping it 100" before it became a big deal or a fad. I'm not ashamed of that either.

I get asked things, and I give my honest, tactful opinion. I express myself and I'm often not afraid to. At day's end, I have no regrets, my stomach doesn't ache, and I sleep well at night as a result. I'm not perfect, but I am honest.

I see folks all the time not only on social networking sites but in the workplace, clubs, churches, etc, that are faker than silicone. They live double lives, try to be something they're not. Many are sooo scared of not being accepted or looked at as different than they "fake the funk" or go along with the crowd. They may not like to watch True Blood, but will watch it because America is obscessed with vampires at the moment. Not that there is anything wrong with vampires or True Blood, but there is a point here. Being true to yourself is important. Even if you're the ONLY person that doesn't like what's being said, doesn't agree with someone, it should be okay. You are you and you don't want anyone to change what you really are. Do you?

I know I do not personally. I was taught to be honest and real at an early age. I was taught the time-old "boy cries wolf" story. This is the story of where the boy kept crying that there was a wolf in the woods to his family and the town. They would get frightened and get upset at him for lying when there would be no wolf. Finally, he played the joke so frequently, that a real wolf showed up, he cried wolf for real, no one believed me. Consequently, the wolf ate him. Heck of a scare tactic for a 9-year old boy. But it kept me straight.

Stories such as the wolf stories and lessons from the Holy Bible has helped me to choose my friends and associations carefully. I do not want to hang with people that do not want me around, or that I don't care to be around. One of the major characteristics I look for in a person is honesty. If I cannot trust what they say to me or others, I have to keep them at arm's length, or simply not hang around them. You have to have verbal credibility to me, whether or not I agree with what you're saying. I want to know it's coming from your true heart and mind.

Now I can say that practical jokes or suprises such as a birthday surprise or April Fool's Day are exceptions. They are in a sense, but at the same time, a lie is a lie. But it's not like you're being completey fake. I'm talking about not being true to who you are, having to put on a facade to impress others, and say things just to get folks to like you. That isn't what is cool.

I ONLY want 100%, honest folks around me. So in short, if you're reading this, and you don't keep it 100, well, you know where to go. I still got love for ya, but I can't associate with you on a regular basis. And if you do keep it 100, well, we can always have something to talk about it. We can start with this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment