Wednesday, September 11, 2019

STARS: Planning a successful family reunion

I think about the second Saturday in September with fond memories. This was the date for years that I held and organized my family reunion.  Due to certain factors, I decided to give it up. However it was a good run. 

I secured a good indoor location and steady date that was memorable and convenient.  I wanted to do it after school started but just before all of the after school activities kicked into full gear. Plus, I wanted a time where the weather would be at a medium temperature. Saturday is typically the best day to do anything socially also. I looked at every month, season and happening and decided upon the second Saturday in September.

I then had to make sure I reserved the location in advance, got the word out via social media, phone calls, texts and word of mouth. I also set up signs and gave directions to assist others in arriving at the venue. Additionally, I had set guidelines for the building and the nearby cemetery. 

I then held the reunion each year. I devised creative ways and activities to encourage folks to stay longer. Family history and old pictures seemed to work the best. 

The reunion was then held, I set up a donation jar to give back to the church since it was free. I arrived early to set up with others and we always left it better than we found it. I also brought some food and made sure that there were plenty of paper products. 

I kept the family reunion going for seven years using this method. It was memorable among many, although attended by few. Therefore if you have a family that really wants a reunion, I hope this post helps

No comments:

Post a Comment