Sunday, October 25, 2015

It's A Different World: The Transition Is Real

I have undergone a lot of personal changes throughout my life, over the past couple of years especially.  A few months ago, I changed companies and jobs after 12 years with the same place.

The toughest part was adjusting to a different schedule. I had been on a Monday-Friday schedule for the longest. I started out on a weekend shift, working Fridays-Mondays, 10 hour shifts. Since Labor Day, I have been working Sundays-Wednesdays, all 10 hour shifts. I took today (this Sunday off) and realized I hadn't had a regular Sunday off since Father's Day. I feel I have adjusted well as my company heads into its busiest time of the year.

Many have experienced this and other life transitions (marriage, first child, new house, beginning school). Here are some of the ways I have an am still adjusting to this latest life change.

1. Being open and flexible

That has to be the case when your routine is changed. It is a transition in many ways and you have to stay open to the new changes.

2. Manage your time and stress well.

This may be the most important. My time has been adjusted as well, along with days, workouts, meals, and the like. Allowing myself to find a good routine and be organized has taken me to other levels.

3. Don't forget your support group.

This is your close circle of family, friends, mentors and former classmates and coworkers. Stay in touch from time to time as you grow and learn.

4. Keep your main purpose in front.

Remember why you made this change. I wrote before about transitions and second acts. This obviously has to be leading to something big, which will keep you motivated and encouraged.

It takes most a while to adjust to any new setting, but it does and can get better. Tomorrow is a new day so keep pushing.

Have you have a major life transition lately? Do you feel you have adjusted well?

No comments:

Post a Comment