Sunday, October 18, 2015

Forest "Frosty" Lanier: A Special Man That Still Has An Impact 30 Years Later

Monday, October 19, 2015 will be a bittersweet day for myself and my family. It is the day my maternal grandfather, Forest "Frosty" Lanier, lost his battle with lung cancer and left us in the physical. He was only 63.

Many people that knew him best: family, friends and such, have mostly good memories of him. I was only seven but I remember my Paw Paw being a loving, caring man. He would ride me in his Chevy truck all over and give me Little Debbie Zebra cakes and tell me not to tell my mom that I ate before dinner. He also fueled my love for reading as he went to the auction every Saturday night and bought me truckloads of books,some I still own.

I never got to hear his actual voice as around the time I was four, his larnyx was removed as a result of the cancer. He spoke with a voice buzzer the rest of his life. He also got me into court TV, never missing The People's Court with Judge Wapner. He allowed me to watch as long as I didn't make any noise.

Frosty lived quite a life in his 63 years. He was a World War II drill sergeant, and received the Purple Heart as a result of a serious back and lung injury. The Army gave him full disability as a result.

Given that he had a government check coming in, it would have been easy for him to kick back and take it easy. But this wasn't Frosty. He was way too active and energetic. He groomed hunting dogs and game roosters, made moonshine, grew two gardens and even painted houses. He was very active, plus he had a wife and two young kids (my mom and uncle Kenny) to think about. They may have not lived in luxury, but they never were without food and shelter. Frosty made awesome stews (his chicken stew is still the best in my mind) and owned every house and car he purchased.

He wasn't perfect though. He did illegally hustle, plus he was an alcoholic. Frosty was also a bit of an introvert and recluse. People, including my mom, saw past his faults and saw him for the kind hearted man he was. He didn't show affection often, but you knew he loved you.

Frosty left his children and grandchildren equal shares of his nearly five acres of land he purchased. I feel blessed to have land handed down to me and per his will, do not ever desire to sell my share.

He was a man of his time, but he had an unmatched swagger, hustle and determination. His time just ran short, and the Lord needed him more.

I have to rely mostly on stories from my mom and others. However that is how we keep him alive, along with the striking traits he also handed. Thus Frosty Lanier will never truly die.

R.I.P. Paw Paw Frosty, you believed in me before I knew to believe and you impacted many lives. I can't wait to meet you again.

1 comment: