Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Learning Properly: A Shoelace Analogy

I will start out this post with a story related to shoelaces.

I am usually a quick learner and can pick up on things well, especially if I am properly taught. Well I was a late bloomer on tying my shoelaces. I was around eight before I learned. Then when I finally got it, I realized a fundamental flaw that everyone that was teaching me made: they went too fast and didn't go step by and step. Many people skipped the last step: lacing through to make a bow. I used to get that "rabbit going around the tree into the hole" analogy and my brain didn't comprehend this.

Speaking of analogies, that seems to be the flaw nationwide, especially in our educational systems. School is back in session for many students, and now is the time to educate them properly. Kids need to be taught well not only at school but at home as well.

I have been tutoring and helping kids and adults for decades and let me tell you one thing: everyone doesn't learn the same. You often have to adjust your methods to better help the general population. Two things I have mentioned before: 1. How I struggled with learning subtraction until I was properly taught and 2. Teaching something new to someone is similar to following the steps in a recipe. If you neglect or skip steps, your dish may not turn out well.

Let's get these kids off to a good start. They have their fresh new clothes and supplies and may already be nervous enough. Stay in tune with how they are doing, and stay ahead of any potential problems.

Again, it's also important to understand a person's learning style and ensure they understand. One cannot assume they can just go out and pick it up as they go along with the work and lessons. Practice doesn't make perfect: PERFECT practice makes perfect.

Therefore, now, not October, December and especially not May, is the time to work with the kids and help them excel. After all, who doesn't feel good when the kids are excelling?

"Each one, teach one. Each one, reach one."

What are some concepts that you have had trouble learning in the past? How could you have been taught better?

No comments:

Post a Comment