Monday, April 20, 2015

Running: A Completely Different Type Of High

Many of you know how much I love fitness and staying fit. You also know how I like natural highs.

On this day, April 20th (4/20) , it is a celebration of a common way of getting high: through smoking marijuana. I don't drink , smoke or use any recreational drugs or herbs so this day isn't that significant to me there.

Now if you mention the high I get from working out, especially running, well that's a horse of a different color.

I started running as a teenager when I played high school football. My adulthood found me rediscovering running in my early 30s.  I even ran my first race five years ago, the 10K at the South Carolina Peach Festival in Gaffney, SC. I have registered for several other races since, including the infamous Cooper River Bridge Run in Charleston, SC.

However, when my fitness level declined and I couldn't find anyone to run with or any good routes, I gave it up for a while. Until last year that is.

Thanks to the new fitness scene I was introduced to in Spartanburg and Rock Hill, specifically my running club, Run The Rock, I got back into running. It has been quite a rush. Last year, I began running long distances again and decided I wanted to go beyond a 10K. I wanted to train for and run a half marathon (13.1 miles). I knew it would take time, discipline, support, and training but I was up for the challenge. I trained for over six months and kept improving my hydration, quickness and endurance.

This past weekend at The Come See Me Festival in Rock Hill, SC, I ran my first half. Despite wet conditions, I ran a personal best, 2 hours and 14 minutes. Not too shabby for my first go round. My runner high is way up there currently. I wasn't concerned about time, but I wanted to be prepared and have a good pace. Everything lined up together and went well for my first half marathon. Now I plan to run another one in a few months, and hopefully a marathon (26.2 miles) by next year.

When I run, my mind feels at ease. I may ache later in my arms and legs but during my runs, I feel a sense of peace and a rush. I love tracking my times and pace and setting personal bests and taking on challenging trails and routes. It is such an addiction. I once heard that if I run one race, I will want to run regularly. This is true in my case, although I intend to continue a balance exercise regimen where I will not abandon strength and resistance training.

I feel blessed to be able to run long distances without stopping. I started on country roads as a teen, put in work on treadmills, and have built my way up. I still remember the days where I couldn't even run one mile. Obviously I feel extremely humbled and I look for continued progress.

Thanks to all of my friends, family, workout partners, trainers and coaches for the support. There would be no me without all of you.

To my fellow runners, do you feel running is like a vice or an addiction? Do you also experience runner's high?

No comments:

Post a Comment