Sunday, February 15, 2015

1995: A Couple Of Decades of Responsibility

1995 was a life changing year for me in so many ways. It's crazy to look back and believe it's been 20 years.

I was still deep in my teen years then which meant high school, high school football, being a senior, driving more, my high school crushes and my first job of course.

I worked hard and diligently , so much so that I earned a starting position on the football team at left offensive tackle. That was very rewarding and exciting after two years on the bench. My work ethic didn't go unnoticed by my peers as I was voted "Hardest Worker" by my fellow senior classmates.

The summer prior, I landed my first job: cooking chicken and short orders at the local Hardees. I enjoyed making my own money and saving it for stuff I needed and wanted. It gave me even more freedom.

Speaking of freedom, I was so much more excited to be a senior because I knew that come June of the next year, I would be out of Blacksburg High School and free to explore other options and increase my manhood.

Entertainment wise , I enjoyed Boyz II Men immensely. Basically R&B and alternative were my musical loves that year. All-4-One, Hi-Five, Green Day, Live, and Everclear.

One of my favorite all time movies , Friday, also released that year. I still know every line to that comedy classic.

Incidently, 1995 wasn't the best year of my life but it was the year where I grew up more and began asserting more responsibility. I was still sort of in my "nerd" shell and studied a lot and began writing poetry. It was a year of changes forever though.

What did 1995 mean to you? Which year of your life did you begin becoming more responsible?

No comments:

Post a Comment