Sunday, July 20, 2014

1994: A Special Year For Me

This is what I consider one of my fun, nostalgic posts.

20 years ago, I was slowly becoming a man: more bold, less introverted and more cultured. 1994 was one of the best and most memorable years of my entire life.

Just a year earlier, my mom was married and became a homeowner. That was huge for me and my brother since we each had our own rooms and spaces. Both were very necessary for a teenager, plus we could invite friends for campouts and sleepovers.

I took my first vacation that year, going to Virginia. I went to Virginia Beach, Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens. It was all a blast.

Entering my junior year of high school and first year on the varsity football team, I had increased both my workouts and football IQ to become a better player. As a reserve and part of the scout team, I kept our starters ready. When I got into the game, I went all out. I was in full beast mode as a lineman, not backing down from anyone. This drive and determination eventually inspired the team, coaches, fans and even the local media. I was nicknamed "Rudy" and even received Player of the Week honors during Homecoming week.

Speaking of entertainment, this was the year I really got into 90s R&B. R. Kelly's 12 Play Album and Boyz II Men "II" defined the year for me. Also two great movies were released: The Lion King and Forrest Gump. I loved both of them and still consider them all time favorites.

I became a New York Knicks fan because of their tough, gritty style of play. Ewing, Starks, Oakley, we had a great team that year. With Jordan temporarily retired, we dominated the Eastern Conference and barely lost to the Houston Rockets in seven games in the Finals.

The three main video games I played on my Super Nintendo were Techno Super Bowl, NBA Jam and The Legend Of Zelda:  A Link To The Past. I love these games and it furthered my love for sports.

In addition to gaining more self confidence, I also learned how unbalanced the legal system can be. OJ Simpson and Susan Smith both were all over the news that year. In the end, we were drawn into courtroom trials and saw what a difference money and celebrity status can make when the gavel drops.

Cheers to 1994, as it was highly instrumental in molding me into the man I have become now.

What are your favorite memories from 1994? Do you have a special year in your life and if so, what it is and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment