Sunday, May 19, 2013

50 Cool Television Theme Songs

I remember two things once upon a time: when TV Guide was relevant and was a must read, and when every show on TV had an awesome theme song. It got to a point where I would gain more interest in a show if the theme song was catchy. Recently I stumbled upon a newer TV Guide issue. This is their 60th anniversary and they have been doing several top 60 lists. One of them included top 60 theme songs. Some of them I agreed with, others I couldn't, and there were those I had to look up because I had never heard of them.

TV Guide seems flawed and biased in their countdowns. I decided to do my own top 50 rundown of television songs. Here is my top 10, followed by the remaining 40. Tell me if you agree, disagree, and what you would add.

1. Cheers

Also #1 by TV Guide, it's simply a timeless classic as a song and show. Most of us always want to be around those that know us and enjoy our presence. That was the spirit that Cheers embodied.

2. The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air

It's hard to call yourself a child of the 90s if you cannot recite this theme song verbatim. Will Smith was previously known for his rap career. However his hit sitcom about moving from West Philadelphia to Bel-Air with his Aunt Vivian and Uncle Phil launched his acting career. I was always tuned in Mondays at 8pm to watch The Fresh Prince. 

3. G.I. Joe. 

"Now I know. And knowing is half the battle,..., GI Joe!!!"  I was a huge GI Joe fan as a child. I had all the toys and figures and plus I had to be home daily at 4pm to tune in. If my school bus was late or if the show was postponed, I was furious. Go Joe!

4. Laverne and Shirley

This is one of the most catchy and upbeat tunes of all times. This groundbreaking spinoff of Happy Days was entertaining and controversial.

5. Good Times

Another song I know verbatim and love to see come on. I own all six seasons on DVD and still watch them often. Like TI said in ATL " it seems like the answer to many family problems."  The struggle was real for the Evans family in the 1970s, as it is for many now.

6. Golden Girls

I cared more about the song than I did the show coming up. Now I like the storylines and antics, especially by the late Bea Arthur and Betty White.

7. Sesame Street.

This song and show also takes me back to my childhood. I learned how to read, write, and count through this show. It was my daycare before I even started school.

8. Happy Days

What's not to love about this show? Richie, Joanie, Chachi, The Fonz, and of course Mr and Mrs. C. It had a long shelf life and showed a different side of life in the 1950s. Heeey sit on it!

9. Beverly Hilbillies

Their rags to riches tale was awesome, as was the cast. Buddy Ebsen, Irene Ryan, Donna Douglas (who tours the country as a devout Christian) and Max Baeur Jr. as Jethro, the son of the former heavyweight boxing champ.

10  Flintstones.

This was tough, but I couldn't leave out the Flintstones. When it's quitting time everywhere, many still yell "Yabba Dabba Doo!" and run, not walk, to their vehicles.

11-40. 

Martin
Peter Gunn
The Waltons
Diffr'nt Strokes
Inspector Gadget
The Jeffersons
Maude
Married With Children
Saved By The Bell
Family Guy
Amen
Mr. Belvedere
Silver Spoons
In Living Color
Living Single
The Andy Griffith Show
Friends
Green Acres
227
Roc
Family Matters
Night Court
The Brady Bunch
The Wire
Dallas
Facts Of Life
The Young And The Restless
Sanford And Son
Dukes of Hazzard
Three's Company
Welcome Back Kotter
Gimme A Break
Scooby Doo
Muppet Babies
Ducktales
Talespin
Perfect Strangers
WKRP in Cincinnati
Head Of The Class
The Drew Carey Show

No comments:

Post a Comment