Saturday, February 2, 2013

The Google Explosion

Microsoft and Apple have been going head to head in the technology world for a couple of decades now. However, it seems whenever Apple releases a hot product or gadget, Google (owned by Microsoft) is not far behind. You have several successful Samsung products such as the Note, Galaxy, and Nexus, Google Chrome and Cloud. Google even has a social network: Google +.

However the one thing that Google has one upped Apple on for years is Google itself. By this, I mean the search engine.

People, myself included, are so quick to visit Google in search of something. Random information, facts, photos, recipes. Heck I will Google in the middle of a conversation to try and settle a debate or heated discussion. I am a Googling fiend, and apparently I'm not alone.

Yahoo, MSN, and even Dogpile that combines all the search engines are good as well. However Google has branded the online research technique. They have impacted it so much so that people now say "I'm going to Google this or that". Google is thus a verb.

We recently had a Super Bowl full of excitement, blackouts, Beyonce' gyrating, and of course the ads. I remember an ad Google ran in 2010 during the Super Bowl about its search engine. This guy was searching (or Googling) on how to woo and romance his girlfriend. His Googling and research evolved to looking for engagement rings, wedding venues, tuxes, realtors, and later baby items.

Google is an important part of our lives. Even Apple users cannot deny how Google has changed us as a culture.

Being that I enjoy trivia, Google does take some of the fun out of it, for those that do not play fair. However, random knowledge is part of the Google experience.

Perhaps you came across my blog via a Google search. I hope you continue to visit my blog weekly, and look at my past posts. Google is truly helping improve everyone's lives with their one size fits all approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment