Sunday, January 27, 2013

Skating: Still Relevant After Many Decades

I can remember when I was a child, the skating rink was the hangout spot. It was like the club for tweens and teens. You learned how to skate through trial and error, saw all the pretty girls there, and met up with your peeps. Many rinks even had supervised lock-ins on weekends and summer vacations.

Watching the movies RollBounce and ATL with T.I. really take me back to that nostalgic, simple era. Heck I want to go to Cascade on a Sunday night. Of course since I'm in my 30s , I would probably be confined to going during the week when the older folk frequent there.

It appears skating has made a revival amongst young adults. Children still go to skating rinks around the country. But now adults still go frequently and skate the night away. This is especially the case in cities such as Chicago, and Columbia, SC, which is about two hours from where I live.

Admittedly, I never learned how to skate well. I did learn how to rollerblade, and was good at that for a while. Both are good cardio exercise as well.

The Winter X Games is currently underway.  Of course the focus is ice skating, which has never waned in popularity due to the Winter Olympics and hockey. Roller skating and blading have now made their way across many different generations.

My guess is people in my age bracket and even in their 20s simply want to keep that part of their childhood alive. Also, movies that I mentioned earlier have refueled that desire to lace up the skates. I know some ladies that even road tripped to Atlanta and went to the real Cascade. According to them, it was actually as crunk as it was in the ATL movie.

There is a line in ATL "when you find something better, you will put those skates down". That is obviously a metaphor for growing up and moving on. However, it appears skating is an ageless, timeless activity like bowling, riding four wheelers, or even video games. I think it's great also. Let the good times roll, pun intended!

In Loving Memory to my homie and muse Tim Brown. This blog is dedicated to you. I will miss you bro.

No comments:

Post a Comment