Monday, November 26, 2012

Zombies: The Dead Has Risen Into The Mainstream

It appears we have another craze that is not just a trend or novelty. Zombies have been around since the 70s and have evolved through television, movies and video games.

Basically many folks cannot get enough of these dead,brain carnivores. The Walking Dead is currently one of the most popular dramas on TV in its third season. Resident Evil has become quite a franchise with four movies and several video games. Even Call of Duty:  Black Ops has a zombie killing option. The dead are metaphorically living.

I personally do not see the appeal as I do not like zombies in any form. I feel they are overexposed. It gets me how Walking Dead fans will justify and defend it, saying it's "different and deeper than zombies". I previewed an episode one night. The writing and storylines are strong, but I can't get past the zombie element.

I'm more into vampires and slasher type monsters. I actually like Twilight for the same reasons that zombie fans love Walking Dead and Resident Evil. I guess the hundreds of appearances of zombies and their bland appeal to me turns me off.

Nevertheless, they continue to be popular. My guess is they are realistic, graphic, and surrounded by strong graphics, sound effects, and storylines.

Television writers should actually take advantage before this craze saturates. Currently zombies are ironically alive and are ratings gold. No one worth their brains wants to be left behind.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.9

No comments:

Post a Comment