Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Egg hunts, chocolate bunnies, and sharp outfits, it must be Easter

It's hard to believe Easter Sunday will be here soon. I have lots of good memories throughout the years that have evolved.


When I was a little child, Easter Sunday meant showing off my newest baby blue outfit, going to church, dying Easter eggs, and those infamous Easter Egg hunts. My mom used to buy my brother and I huge Easter baskets, and they were put to good use.  I discovered early on in life that I wasn't crazy about the egg whites, only the yellow, with lots of salt and pepper.


I also loved the candy, especially the chocolate bunnies and Cadbury eggs. This was all capped off with church on Easter Sunday, learning about the reason for the holiday, and a huge meal, where ham was the main course.


I grew older and out of Easter baskets and egg hunts. However, I still had Easter outfits, went to church, and enjoyed a nice Easter meal. Now that I was a teenager, Easter usually meant either the beginning or end of Spring Break. All the flowers and grass was blooming again, you could actually wear shorts outside, and it was simply indicative of new life.


Adulthood brought different memories. I didn't always attend church on Easter, but I still fellowshipped with family, both my moms and my dads family.  There would be food, food, and more food. I still enjoyed Easter candy and chocolate bunnies.  I also started participating in Lent during my early 20s. Easter was a way of me not only honoring Christ, but celebrating the sacrifice and fast I underwent for 40 plus days. I even took Good Friday off from work a couple of times, and even Easter Monday.


I definitely feel Easter is a holiday for all ages. It is commercialized, but not to the level of Christmas and Valentine's Day.  I look back at my photos from Easters of yesteryear and smile with fondness. Those were awesome times. Family and food stayed constant throughout the years.


2011 Easter was a bit strange, as it was on the final Sunday of April. This year, it is on Sunday, March 31, one of the rare years.   To me, it just seems right and best near the beginning of April.


It's almost time for more Easter memories. My mom usually has her ham and candied yams and biscuits.  However, I'm looking forward to the fellowship even more. Easter is one of few family holidays left, and I would like it to remain this way.


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.1

No comments:

Post a Comment