Monday, January 16, 2012

How I honor Dr. Martin Luther King and make sure his dream is fulfilled


Monday, January 20 is officially Dr. Martin Luther King Day. It took years for it to get recognized as a national holiday, and then even longer as a state holiday. It did not even become a holiday in South Carolina until 2001. Now many folks have the day off from work, and schools, banks, and government related offices are closed.

Some will be going to prayer breakfasts, parades, candlelight vigils, and other such programs in honor of MLK day. Others will simply watch documentaries about civil rights and such. Many, many others will simply enjoy the day off and not do much of anything.

Most people tend to forget the true meaning of most holidays. MLK day is almost no different. Moreover, they forget the history of Dr. King and what he stood and marched and protested for. He fought for civil, equal rights for ALL Americans: black, white, red, yellow, rich, poor, male, female, etc. His dream was that ALL of us could live, work, play, and mingle together without any segregation. He spearheaded a movement that prompted President Lyndon B. Johnson to sign the Civil Rights Act, removing desegregation in public establishments and institutions.

The best way I feel I can honor Dr. King's dream and keep it alive is simple: go to work. Some of you may think I'm talking crazy. But read my previous paragraph and think very hard. My job does not include the holiday in their allotted paid holidays. Since they do not and although I could request the day off with pay, I choose to work. I feel Dr. King would like that, as I have the opportunity and right to work with and go to the gym alongside folks of all walks of life, something that would not have happened over 40 years ago. I'm not saying taking the day off and doing the other tributes are wrong. What I am saying is he fought so hard so I could have a job opportunity as a minority and I don't want that to be in vain.

Looking back at his character, he was all about sacrifice and helping others. What better way to do that then to show his example and do what we often do and should do everyday: fulfill his dream? Many folks thought his dream was complete when President Obama was elected. But we still have a ways to go yet. I say we go to work being around others, even if you do have the day off. Help those less fortunate than yourself. Mingle around other cultures. Show the younger generation what Dr. King specifically fought for, and that it was much deeper than a three day holiday weekend.

I won't even go into how many party promoters and organizations will throw MLK parties on Saturday and Sunday night on that weekend.

My suggesroom is for many of you ask yourselves that question on MLK day while you're out and about. Meanwhile, I will be honoring and reflecting on his legacy in a more unorthodox but still sincere matter.

 


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.1

No comments:

Post a Comment