Monday, March 14, 2011

Lent: Not just for Catholics and a very important part of my life

This Wednesday, February 13 (the day before Valentines Day) is Ash Wednesday, also the beginning of  Lent.   Lent is the period of time between Ash Wednesday and Good Friday where people (mostly Catholics) make a sacrifice during this time. It's usually a food item or a vice such as television, movies, or a habit such as cursing or the like. Many folks worldwide that are NOT Catholic actually practice Lent now. I can say from a personal standpoint that it is a spiritual journey, and a test of faith and willpower.

I've been participating in Lent for about 10 years now. I've sacrificed various things throughout the years.  Four years ago, I gave up sweet foods. That was tough and grueling, but I made it all 40+ days. This year, I'm giving up sweet tea, and many drinks with sugar. This actually entails a lot, especially when I eat out. Many know that I enjoy my sweet tea. I have recently learned how to make it also. Can't get it as good as Mom yet, but I'm getting there. I am consuming more lean proteins and fresh fruits and veggies. I'm confident this will go well.

The most common thing for people to give up during Lent is meat. Catholics already will not eat meat on Friday, only fish. This has prompted McDonald's and other restaurant chains to put their fish sandwiches on sale. That's obviously a temptation this year. I know by March 31, those specials will end.

I actually enjoy Lent because I see how strong I am spiritually and mentally. I also get to see how dependent I am on what I'm sacrificing. When Good Friday comes, I'm able to evaluate how much I need that vice in the first place, and I often moderate my usage of it.

I would encourage anyone to give Lent a shot, but only if they're serious. It's no longer considered just a Catholic thing, but it is important and beneficial.


Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post. As a cradle Catholic myself, it is easy to give up something for the 40 days and then go right back to it once Easter Sunday rolls around. Your point about reflection on the usage of it is important. The vice or item given up is meant to reflect a Long-term life change not just a short term goal. Keep up the good work and I keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete