Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Debbie Lanier's Life and Times: Part 11: The Creek and The Fair

Fall is around the corner and summer is ending. This was the period that my mom took us places the most. Two of those that were tradition were the local creek and the Cleveland County Fair. And guess what? I still go to both as an adult,  may go to the creek later on today. 

Debbie simply loved Kings Creek: the place and the actual creek. When were younger, it was all about Burnt Mills and the curb near the Kings Creek bridge. She would take us there around early afternoon and we would stay all day like we were at a waterpark. I remember being in the water so long I would have wrinkles on my fingers. We used to ride home sitting on towels so as not to destroy the seats of the car. 

The fair was another all day event. We would get armbands and ride all afternoon into the night.  Debbie understood the fair was best enjoyed at night but Saturday was usually when we went. We would eat twice also. 

Present day, I love going to Burnt Mills as it's a relaxing, family friendly atmosphere close to home with lots of nostalgia. I still go to the fair also but I no longer ride anything. I simply eat all sorts of unhealthy, fried foods and cleanse the day after. 

I'm so glad my mom started these small traditions. Now I feel like I'm spending the day with her whenever I partake and keep not only the tradition alive but also her spirit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment