Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Debbie Lanier's Life and Times: Part 9: The Grass

Ok before anyone starts, this isn't for my mom's love for cannabis or advocacy. That's another post in this chronicle. She loved for her yard to be freshly cut on the regular. 

My mom was able to step away from the workforce at age 47 but stayed busy doing other things. One of those was keeping up her yard. She had a push mower, riding mower and weed eater. She did it all herself once she divorced her husband until she suffered her leg and ankle injury in 2013. 

Debbie had very high standards for how low and neat she wanted the lawn. She really wanted it cut weekly but I work full time and I didn't have it in my budget to pay anyone weekly. I would set aside time to cut it biweekly. If I couldn't get to it due to time nor weather, I would pay one of few lawn folks I trusted. 

I really started taking pride of the yard and recently gained the capacity to get it cut regularly.  There is a peace and pride of being in your own yard and keeping it cut the way you want it. My mom got that and was hence more critical when the yard didn't look emaculate.  I cut my own yard earlier but the hot day and short evening caught up to me so I'll have to finish on tomorrow. 

Thinking back, it's hard to believe my mom did this for so long with often only the pushmower since the riding mower stayed broken. That's who she was: highly independent and determined. You can stay I got that part honest.  She enjoyed being outside also in the summer heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment