Sunday, July 17, 2016

Random Ramblings.

We've had a lot going on in our world lately. Cops killing black men, cops being killed in retaliation. The Pokemon GO craze is out, and people are playing this game in droves. And the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio are right around the corner. Either way, everyone has thoughts about all of this.

And here are mine.

1. It is against my code of ethics to take someone's life, period, unless yours is threatened. You look at almost every instance over the past few years and murder could have been avoided. I have an uncle that is a skilled shooter, was the top markman in his platoon in the Army during the 70s. Police, you are trained to subdue the person, not kill them. My brothers and sisters, killing innocent cops isn't the answer.

2. I have written and spoken on this subject many times and I'm gonna say this again once more. We need more legislation and effective action to end this unjust killing. Rogue killing and passive protests isn't getting the job done. Look at what Dr. King and other historic characters and people in power positions have accomplished. Let's use some of that to end this madness and fix this broken system. I need to feel safe again when I drive at night, and I don't need my mother up at night (or any other parent) worrying if I will make it home alive.

3. Many of you know how seriously I take my birthday. The main reason is that we preach that this live matters and that life matters. Okay well if we're that cool, how hard it is to wish me Happy Birthday? You remember celebrity's birthdays that you won't meet but you can't remember mine. Hmmm is all I gotta say.

4. My black friends, you don't need to feel uncomfortable discussing these topics with me. Yes I'm biracial and I see both sides. But people are people to me. We can talk, as long as you are respectful and realize that all white folks and cops aren't out to eliminate an entire race of people. I certainly wasn't raised like that, I was raised to love and have an open mind. Therefore , if you're my friend , we should be able to have an open, respectful dialogue. Shoot both races make me mad also so chances are we may be on the same side!

5. Also, if the worst happens and I end up a statistic, PLEASE do not hashtag #AndrewLanier or #imjustdrew if we aren't cool like that. You don't know me, we aren't even related. You didn't even wish me Happy Birthday. Therefore, don't treat me like a martyr when I'm gone if you treated me like garbage when I was alive and well. #thatisall.

6. I like the Pokemon GO game, it's addictive. However I play it in safe environments. I have my own thoughts far as this game goes (potential future blog subject).

So here are my ramblings. Expect more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment