Sunday, September 28, 2014

The Local Fair: Always Good Food, Folks and Fun

Many of you already know Fall is my favorite of all of the four seasons. There are many reasons for this. The leaves are changing, football is back, the weather is comfortable and not unbearably cold.

Last but not least, the fair is in my area!

I grew up on the county fair. My mom took me and my brother every year. We would ride every ride we could, eat all sorts of unhealthy snacks, and even play those crooked games. I was especially good at the dart games.

Now as an adult, I still enjoy the fair but mostly for the unhealthy foods and nostalgia. The fairs now have so much more variety: fried everything (Oreos, candy bars, Twinkies), turkey legs, funnel cakes, Krispy Kreme burgers, and the classics such as candy apples, cotton candy and giant sausages. It is all good to me!

Near me, the more popular fairs are the Cleveland County Fair in Shelby, NC, the Piedmont Interstate Fair in Spartanburg, SC, and the granddaddy of them all, the South Carolina State Fair in Columbia, SC. Due to safety and proximity, I attend the Cleveland County Fair. It is located on the campus of Cleveland Community College, only a 20 minute drive from my home. Also it's free to park if you arrive early enough and park on the campus. Plus it's the fair I grew up going to. Can't wait to go this year!

Do you enjoy going to the fair? What is your favorite ride, snack, and/or game?

No comments:

Post a Comment