Sunday, September 29, 2013

Betrayal: The Evil Cousin Of Loyalty

Many may remember my loyalty piece that has been twice published. I strive to say true to my loyal values, despite being betrayed so much throughout my life.

Betrayal is indeed the evil cousin of loyalty. People that will turn on you in a second, including those you least expect and love the most.

Heartbreak is all a part of life. One thing is when you live long enough, you experience both. You not only have your heart crushed romantically, but by someone you care a lot about. It could be family, friend, or your own parent or child.  They went against their word and basically made you feel unwanted and unworthy. 

Family will sting you the deepest. You don't automatically expect that someone you share a bloodline with would do you dirty. I'm blessed that most of my family aren't like this.  However, we have all been disappointed by relatives to say the least.

Friends will come and go. I've had many good ones for over 10 years, a few for 20, and a rare select few for 30. I have had to distance myself from those that acted more like foes than friends. I'm forgiving and will not hold grudges. Like family, you must often keep them at a distance. 

When discerning betrayal of any kind, you have to make sure your standards are up to par. Remember to consider yourself like a corporation or team. If someone isn't doing their part on a team or a company, they are no longer necessary.  That includes simple stuff as answering a phone call or a text, or showing up for an appointment you have set up. Being there is often just enough. 

There are only so many times one can betray you before you have had enough.  You just have to realize what you're willing to tolerate and from whom.

No comments:

Post a Comment