Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Top 7: My Favorite Romance Movies (not necessarily chick flicks)

I'm actually becoming more of a fan of romantic movies as I get older. I'm just a fan of good cinema period.  Some love stories, or chick flicks, are clique and predictable. I actually prefer romantic comedies.


Here are my 7 favorite romantic movies (chick flicks and non), and even a list of honorable mentions. Once again, I love movies!


1. Love Jones


Being a huge fan of poetry and of Larenz Tate and the beautiful Nia Long, it's natural for me to love this movie. It also came out in the 90s, during the time where I was becoming a man. I can watch this movie over and over and it always redeems my belief in true love.


2. The Notebook


Yes, yes, I know and realize this is the quintessential chick flick of chick flicks, and many women's favorite love movie. However, this is an awesome story of loving and true love, for better or for worse. Nicholas Sparks has just become a master of Southern love stories. Many of his other movies, however, such as Dear John and The Vow, simply haven't lived up to The Notebook. It is his version of "Thriller" if you will.


3. Love and Basketball


BET played the heck out of this movie for years. It was also one of the first DVDs I owned. I believe it has a good balance between love and sports, showing two athletes who always loved each other even when at different points in their life. Brown Sugar can be called the hip hop version of this movie.


4. Friends With Benefits


This is a good spin on the traditional love story. Awesome romantic comedy that you can watch over and over and feel good, even if you do not believe in the concept. Watching both Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis give up on love, then realize they were catching feelings was interesting and refreshing.


5. Titanic


The #2 highest grossing film of all time was recently re-released in theaters. Many women (and even men) watched this movie several times in the theater. I believe the appeal of the haves and have nots helped make this movie such a timeless hit, although most folks already knew the end result going in.


6. Rocky


This is not only one of the best sports movies of all time, and extremely inspirational, its a love story in every sense. Rocky tried to get noticed in the ring and by the local pet store clerk, Adrian. They really loved each other and it was a gradual love, growing through his training and culminating with his big fight.  Adrian!!!!


7. You've Got Mail


This was literally an upgrade on "Sleepless in Seattle" and even included the same actors (Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan). This was released at a time when internet dating was not only taboo but new. Now its more commonplace with e-Harmony, Match and even ole Facebook.


Honorable Mention: Jungle Fever, Sixteen Candles, Crazy, Stupid, Love, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.1

1 comment:

  1. I liked "Love Actually a lot. It doubled as a Christmas movie and had a pretty banging soundtrack. Sadly there have been too many movies like "Valentine's Day" and "New Year's Eve" that tried to copy. "Crazy, Stupid, Love" and "Friends With Benefits" actually shocked me. I thought they would suck.

    ReplyDelete