Monday, August 1, 2011

Sensitivity: don't feed that beast the wrong food

Ok okay this blog has been on the shelf for weeks. Now its time to get it out as we begin the last unofficial month of the summer season.

Basically, we all have things that annoy and pester us. It can be a TV show, a person, or simply a pet peeve. When one gets extreme and even emotional about it, that can be defined as being sensitive (or even hypersensitive).

Women are best known for being sensitive due to their emotions and such. However, many men are culprits of sensitivity as well. I myself have been guilty of being sensitive too many times. Sometimes, I could justify it. Other times, it was silly and I was upset for the wrong reasons.

Black people tend to get edgy when they sense racism, jokes about their hair, bad remarks about President Barack Obama, and especially when another race calls them/us the "N" word.

I never joined a black Greek organization in college. However, from the outside, I found that bashing a NPHC organization, or any of these members, was not tolerated. That is similar to folks that try to bash your family. I don't know about you, but I have my peeves and buttons. Three big ones are my Family, my Food, and my Finances. You just don't play around with those three in my book.

So when is a person "hypersensitive"? It's when they can't joke about anything, they're always mad and defensive, and just plain combative. They see every word you utter as an attack on them. They believe the entire world is against them, and that all of their shortcomings are someone else's fault. I believe at some point, one must chill out, take responsibility and realize that life is not that serious.

Referring to "feed the beast" I commented on a lady friend's status about her acting up. She said she was ok now that she had eaten. Jokingly, I said "feed the beast" She was upset at first, but then seemed cool about it. I realized that my words had a double meaning. I didn't mean that she herself was a beast. I meant that since she was calm after eating, it compared to a beast calming after being fed, the old "feed the beast" saying. It was harmless, I promise!

I've basically found that to be careful in what you say, especially when you know that person well. You know what buttons to push, and continuing to do so is inconsiderate. Also, get to know someone before making assumptions either way. You don't know what that person is going through. Give them some space.

Finally, be sure you know what beast you're dealing with, and feed it the proper food.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

No comments:

Post a Comment