Monday, April 11, 2011

Miseducation: Is there a better album?

One of the best and most timeless albums of all time is Lauryn Hill's 1998 solo release "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill" It went multiple platinum, won several Grammys, and allowed "L-Boogie" to separate herself from the Fugees.

Notice I said one of the greatest albums. After careful consideration, listening and analyzing, Jill Scott's first release "Who Is Jill Scott" not only holds its own with 'Miseducation', it bests it in many ways.

One of my homies boldly said this same thing. I, and several others, initially chastised him for this claim. I then decided to get both albums and do my own analysis while on a long road trip. And I agree with my friend.

Lauryn Hill has an awesome reputation as a hip-hop artist, and just a musician in general. Her unique style, voice, and lyrics make any album stellar. However, I came to the conclusion that "Miseducation" is not an album that has great listening value. On the 2nd and subsequent listenings, I found myself wanting to skip two or three songs. Lauryn's voice, plus those numerous interludes, also interfered. I realize I'm nitpicking, but I know music. It's still a great album, just a bit overrated.

Jill Scott is a soulful, Neo-Soul artist whose style is Sharp but not totally original. She is often compared to Floetry or Erykah Badu. However, "Who Is Jill Scott" is a nearly flawless album. You can listen to it over and over and feel soothed rather than nauseated. You can get lost in the awesome flow of Jill's music. She didn't receive Grammy love or much radio play like "Miseducation" However, she comes from a slightly deeper place than Lauryn. Her melodic ballads add to the overall album quality.

These are my views, but I believe most can agree both albums are must-haves, and that Jill Scott is also a strong artist deserving of more praise.


I welcome all feedback as always, positive and negative.

Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments:

Post a Comment