Monday, December 20, 2010

Don't forget the milk and bread and stay off the roads, it's inclement weather!

I've grown up and lived in the South pretty much all of my life. Therefore, it's typically mild to humid most of the year except for mid-November to early March. During this time, this is when the winter weather warnings can wreak havoc on vacation plans, work schedules, and just being able to get out of your house. Whether it's snow, sleet, ice, or freezing rain, inclement winter weather can either be refreshing, a buzz kill, or just a distraction.

Winter's not even officially here yet and already in this season we've have two threats of winter weather in the past few days. This past Thursday, there was sleet and freezing rain, forcing a two-hour delay for the local schools and from my job. Saturday, there was sleet and light snow flurries. Nothing major came of that. However, I had plans to go to Shelby and hang out but those were deferred.

I remember being back in school (and even working for the state of South Carolina) that it was almost always exciting when winter weather came through. You were out of school and/or work, and it was a big party basically. However, if it prolonged for too long (the weather) and too much school was missed, you had to make it up in the spring and it would cut into Spring Break. Not cool.

If you work for any organization (school, bank, post office, etc) that deals with the government and/or state, you're pretty much set to go far as days off from work. You're off from work and you don't have to worry about not getting paid, your pay getting cut, or even using any of your vacation or sick time. However, if this isn't the case and you don't have any vacation or sick time at work, then that can hurt. I'm currently out of all of my available time. I only lost out on two hours this past week, which wasn't too bad. However, I'm praying that any severe winter weather will subside until January since I cannot afford to miss any time or hours from work.

The winter weather is also not exciting for me to even play in. When I was a child, I would make snow angels, build snowmen, get into snowball fights, etc. The only REAL thrill now regarding snow is when there's enough of it to make snow cream. Now that's the business!! I believe folks that live up North take having snow cream pretty much on a weekly basis for granted. However, typically when it's bad weather and I can't leave, I'll lay around my house and sleep. I may watch TV, movies and eat in between, but I'm basically staying in the bed. Just can't get into all of that weather.

So while many of you look forward to this type of weather for various reasons, especially right now hoping for a White Christmas, you go ahead. Don't expect me to share your enthusiasm. Give me that good Fall-like weather anyday, the type of weather that I can ACTUALLY go out driving in without a greater risk of sliding, crashing, and dying. I do not own a SUV or a 4-wheeled drive vehicle and even if I did, I doubt I would be cruising in horrible weather. What's the point?

And finally, about everyone buying up the milk and bread. I can't get the fascination, especially for households that barely consume milk and/or bread. I prefer to stock up on supplies I actually use regularly and may not be able to get for a couple of days. Sometimes that is milk and bread, sometimes it isn't. However, out of shear habit, you best believe that if the National Weather Advisory is calling for winter weather, there will be a run on milk and bread.

So whenever we receive more of this terrible weather, enjoy yourselves with whatever you do. Get out in it. Drink some liquor and wine to stay warm. Just don't call or text me and expect an immediate answer. I'll be catching up on my ZZZs until the weather improves, which fortunately in the South isn't usually long.

No comments:

Post a Comment