Sunday, May 9, 2010

My mother, Debbie Lanier

Today is Mother's Day, so it's only fitting I talk about my mother, Debbie Lanier, and why she is so special to me. She is my mother, best friend, hero, counselor, role model, and inspiration.

My mom was a single parent, raising myself and my brother on her own with the help of my grandmother. She had to be very strong in playing both parental roles. She cherished (and still does) her time with her kids. She truly takes her role as a mother serious, and kids are a top priority to her. She may not have been rich, educated, or famous, but she had the biggest heart and cared as much (if not more) than any mother I know.

My mom has believed in me, even when others didn't or doubted and criticized me. She has supported me, even when I have made some crazy decisions and did some dumb things. She has loved me unconditionally. She is proud of me when I excel, and when I fail.

Growing up, I wasn't the most social person. I didn't have a lot of friends, was picked on frequently for a number of reasons. I could always count on my mom to take care of business and not let anyone disrespect me, or even talk to when I was having problems. She has a good intuition for reading folks and can usually see when someone is up to no good. It seemed like she stayed up at the school for a number of years due to students picking on me and/or teachers doing things she didn't agree with it. She is very dedicated to what she does.

She's also extremely tough. I've seen her endure sooo much pain throughout her life that would make the average person perish. She's had nervous breakdowns in her life, lost both of her parents, her son (my younger brother Adam), and several other loved ones in her life. She's experienced extreme poverty and discrimination and hasn't always been treated well by other men. She's currently going through what will be an ugly divorce. Nevertheless, she will come through it strong like she always does. Her faith in the Lord, along with prayers from others, is what keeps her the strongest and dries her tears.

She's also very protective, which used to drive us crazy growing up. She wouldn't let us play unless we were in her sight, she would screen a friend's parents carefully before we could go visit, and nobody except our grandmother would babysit us. She is very old-school and traditional, and goes with what works for her. She's always been her own woman and could care less what others think about her ways.

My mom's not perfect of course. She's a huge homebody, rarely will leave her house except to go to the doctor, grocery store, etc. She will not even go out to eat on occasions such as Mother's Day and her birthday. I accept her for who she is, flaws and all. That's how it should be.

Mom always wanted the best for me and my brother. She never pressured or pampered us; she was just there in spirit and encouraged us to reach for the stars.

Many may accuse me of being a "mama's boy" and this and that. It's difficult to understand the relationship that my mom and I have. It's a special one, one filled with love and mutual respect. She speaks her mind, but at the end of the day, I do what I want to do as a grown man. I don't try to embarrass or disgrace Mom. At the same time, I do me and she respects that.

I show my love, honor, and respect for my Mom every chance I get. Mother's Day is special, and I definitely make it all about her on this day as it should be. But to me, every day should be Mother's Day, especially for what she's done for me and the sacrifices she's made throughout my life for myself and others.

I'm grateful to have a mother as wonderful as she is. She's been great, and it will be a sad day when she passes on to meet the Lord. However, she has taught me the inner strength to be able to deal with the tough times and tragedies. I love you Mom, Happy Mother's Day, and I hope our bond always stays this strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment