Monday, March 6, 2023

STARS: How I Trained for and ran a marathon

Spring running season is basically here and although I'm currently not running, I know the craft and the process. I am here for anyone that wants my guidance. 

I chose my first marathon to be closer to home so I could drive and not be overly sore going back to a hotel or hours to home. I would advise taking that into consideration, along with price, travel and hotel accommodations, and overall planning for time off from work, family, etc. 

I then know my terrain and how I needed to adjust my regimen. I give myself 4-6 months to train. I was running 3 times a week anyways with a long run on Saturdays so I was halfway there. I have found numerous training programs online and in runner's groups. I have found that the best ones are the ones that break the training down week by week with total mileage being nearly 20 miles minus the week you run a half marathon (running a sanctioned half a month or two prior is beneficial) and then the week you run your 20 mile run. I and other runners know the importance of that 20 mile run to the overall training. It gauges you halfway into training and allows you to see where you need to adjust and what. This goes down to the shoes to even what hat you wear that morning.

I used this format to successfully run and finish 3 full marathons, 2 in back to back months. I have found this template to be successful if the work is put in.

No comments:

Post a Comment