Monday, March 20, 2023

STARS: How I Have Improved My Speech Tremendously Throughout My Life

I have had a speech impediment since I was a child and it still affects me in my mid 40s. I don't stutter as often but I definitely will talk rapidly when I'm nervous, excited, upset or all the above. I also have a thick country accent that comes out more when all 3 of the aforementioned surfaces. 

This has affected my confidence, my social status and even caused road bumps throughout my career. 

I was in speech therapy in school for 6 years (big shout out to Mrs. Carolyn Fowler for being patient and believing in me.) and learned how to properly pronounce and enunicate certain letters and phrases. I also have taken plenty of public speaking courses and even leadership positions. I have traveled to conferences to strengthen and sharpen my voice. 

I later channeled my energies in therapy through the gym, breathing, mediating, and slowing down my speaking pace through practice. I would record myself and even video myself to have my voice crisper. 

Present day, I have held 10 leadership positions, 3 of these being in management, have appeared on radio shows and podcasts, have been guest speaker and MC at 5 different events and have simply found my niche: control. I know if I maintain that, the sky is the limit for myself and my voice.

I am human and do still slip up especially when I'm around people I don't know or people I'm the most comfortable with. I am 90% better and more confident than I was as a child..

No comments:

Post a Comment