Wednesday, March 1, 2023

STARS: Ensuring My Uncle Had a Nice Safety Net Upon His Release From Prison

Here's the backstory on my Uncle Kenny. He's been in and out of prison most of his life and recently turned 70. I took over managing his finances in late 2017 and wanted to ensure he had enough money to start some projects and relax some at his age. 

His money was not managed as well as possible prior and a lot of hands were in his pot. 

I first put everyone, including him, on a budget. He was expected to be released in 5 years at that time. I wanted to ensure that even when his own children wanted money, it was on a need only basis. There had been a lot of problems I won't go into details on due to it being family. I will only say they were bleeding him dry and I wasn't afraid to tell them no.

Additionally, I attempted to ensure that if someone needed a loan or large sum, it had to be valid. He paid for his wife's funeral in 2020 and this was obviously one of those cases. 

I was able to help him increase his monies tenfold in 5 years and this was with him spending $300-$400 per month on average. He's enjoying his freedom and retirement and has little financial concerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment