Monday, January 2, 2023

Crutches, Boots and Scooters Part 5 (Walking Tall and Slow)

Happy New Year, my 13th one in the blogsphere! 

The last week of the year was slow and relaxing per usual but it took on new meaning. The orthopedic surgeon was extremely pleased with my healing process and overall progress. I am cleared for the next two weeks to bear weight with my heavy boot and crutches and walk some. I have been doing my best to work my legs and feet again as my left foot hadn't been able to be planted in a month. I still have my scooter around just in case my ankle gets too tired or I've went too hard. I'm just thankful for movement and I can't wait until I can do more. 

I do miss making simple trips even to the gas station and coffee shops. New Year's Eve was festive but quiet as I stayed in, ate pickups and watched college football bowl games. I'm confident by next week at the latest as I have two appointments with each surgeon that I'll be able to have a different boot and at least drive more. 

This is long (and if you're like my mom, you already stopped with the last paragraph lol) but I was talking to my case manager and I really want to make a full recovery before I return to work. Mentally, financially and emotionally, I need it. Physically, I want to be fully healed as I stated in part 4. I will still have restrictions and accommodations to help me transition but I have a list of things I want to be able to do before I return back to work even for a half shift or half of a week. Top 3 is to be able to walk from my car to my desk comfortably in safety shoes that will work with both legs. I have noticed that my right leg is getting tired from bearing the brunt of the force while I have walked short distances. 

This week is another that's appointment free. I will continue to rehab, make small preparations to return, (my sleeping pattern is not where it needs to be), have crushed run replaced in my driveway and in front of my home for those days that myself and my mother struggle with a sinking, wet hill. I did see the light at the end of the tunnel as 2022 ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment